CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Books with Friends ~ Book 3: 1984 by George Orwell

Read July 27, 2010
Recommended by Kelli




1984 is one of those books that are always on the shelf as "required reading." I had never read it in school as I had read Orwell's Animal Farm instead. When my friend Kelli put this book on my Books with Friends list, I told her that I love her for giving me a reason to finally reading this book.

George Orwell's classic provides the reader with a indepth look at a world where government controls society, economy,and the every day even down to your very thoughts. With Big Brother ruling Oceania all must agree to the Party's 3 rules:

1. War
2. Ignorance = Freedom
3. Intelligence = Slavery

The protagonist lives and operates within the parameters of this world, but is on a search for an outlet. It is this search that is chronicled through the novel.

I finished this book at the crack of dawn and immediately fell asleep. After finishing this book, I did not sleep well. In my dreams, I saw interrogations and other scenes courtesy of this novel's description.

What I also found frightening is some of the modern day similarities such as the hope in the lottery by the lower class, and the nonchalance of the middle class.

Not a long novel but not an easy read. However, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in political satire and anyone curious as to what happens when the masses are willing to sacrifice free will for security.

~~

0 comments: